Wednesday 25 June 2014

Suarez... Again

Yes, again. It does get annoying, always having to talk about negative things Suarez has done. But I do feel some perspective is needed.

Straight off I will say this isn't a defence. Biting someone is wrong, not in football, not anywhere. He shouldn't have done it, simple as, and he should be punished for it. But I feel there's been an overreaction, and I can't understand the campaign to get Suarez a massive ban.

Last night I posted this tweet. I'll go into more detail about what I meant by it here, because it's hard to explain on twitter:


The way I see it, biting is not a problem in football. Suarez has done it three times, no one else has done it, no one is copying him. Biting isn't a trend that's sweeping across football. The outcome of a football match has never been effected by someone being bitten. When I heard Suarez had bitten Chiellini I didn't think "Italy have been cheated" or "this has ruined the world cup" I just thought "what an idiot he's going to get banned again."

During every match at this World Cup, players are diving, play acting, trying to get opposition players sent off. Basically cheating. Stuff like this, that annoys me more than Suarez biting someone. That ruins the game that I love. Yet no one seems to be bothered about this. If the same vendetta went into getting players banned for stuff like this as it has for Suarez biting we could improve the game of football as a whole.

Banning Suarez for two years or something like that will not improve the game. The game will still be the same because biting isn't an issue in football. There are more important things in my opinion. The only thing it will do is take away one of the most exciting players in football.

If all of this fuss had been over cheating, I'd agree with it because that is ruining the game. If it had been over racism, I'd agree with it because that is ruining the game. If it had been over match fixing or corruption, I'd agree with it because that is ruining the game. But over a bite? Seriously? Ban him for the rest of the World Cup and move on.



@adamheath

No comments:

Post a Comment