Wednesday 30 April 2014

Just Some Thoughts...

May Elections

Recently we've been getting all the usual stuff through the door from all the political parties trying to convince us to vote for them in the local elections. I haven't looked at any of them. None of it matters to me, my days of caring about politics were pretty much left in uni. I should care really, but they give me nothing to care about. I probably won't vote, and I imagine there's a lot of people who feel the same. All I'm going to say is, if you don't want to vote in the local elections, or even in the general elections next year, don't get pressured into doing it by the vote or die brigade.

There will be people telling you that not voting is a disgrace as we're privileged in this country to have a say in who is in power. People fought for your right to vote, The Suffragettes suffraged for your right to vote. Well they didn't do all that for what we have today, I'm tellin' ya. It's like on the episode of South Park when they have to vote between a giant douche and a turd sandwich. When they're the only options what's the point? I think both the main political parties are shit. Personally I feel all the others are shit as well, but if you wanted to vote for one of them your vote would be wasted anyway due to our electoral system. That's not democracy. And remember, if someone's trying to pressure you into voting using the things I've said above, just step back for a minute and think about why they're doing that. It's most likely because they want you to vote for them or vote the same way as them. Bloody politics.



School Teacher Stabbed to Death

First of all let me say that this is a horrendous crime. But like with all horrendous crimes committed by minors, the media are trying to find blame. And straight away they've gone for the textbook of reasons behind child crimes and started ticking them off on a list. So far they've blamed the music the boy listened to and the video games he played. What does this have to do with anything? Jack the ripper was running around London butchering prostitutes long before Grand Theft Auto and iTunes. In fact, I'm sure the world was a lot more dangerous back then before these things came along.

Obviously, what caused the boy to commit such an atrocity does have to be examined, but personally I feel they are looking in all the wrong places. It's like Patricia J. Williams said about Tawana Brawley, "she has been the victim of some unspeakable crime. No matter how she got there. No matter who did it to her and even if she did it to herself." The point I'm trying to make is, the boy will rightfully be punished for the terrible thing that he has done, but you're not getting to the source of the problem. He will suffer for his crime, but we need to discover who committed the crime on him, and personally I don't think it was Rockstar Games or a heavy metal band. Society as a whole must be held accountable, so we can prevent something like this from happening again.

@adamheath 

No comments:

Post a Comment