Tuesday 18 February 2014

Religion And Stuff...

The reason I'm writing this is because I saw a story a few weeks ago, and I felt like I had to share a few thoughts about it. This is the story...


And since I saw that I've just been thinking about how completely crazy it is. The thing is, to me, the idea of religion actually seems more absurd than the idea of homosexuality, and I can't believe in 2014 people can still use religion to justify a hatred. 

Now let me first of all point out that I have nothing against people who are religious. I went to a Catholic school and I studied the bible, and I actually think the bible is full of really good messages. I just get the feeling that we've spent so long studying it that people are just getting it all wrong now. 

To paraphrase the comedian Jim Jeffries, you could replace the entire bible with the simple phrase "don't be a cunt." Because that's all the bible is, it's a book telling you how to live your life the right way. All the other parts are irrelevant, but people take these irrelevant parts and twist them to justify their fucked up views. There's people who hate Jews because they killed Jesus, and you feel like saying to them you're focusing on the wrong part mate. It doesn't matter who killed Jesus, it's the fact he suffered for other people. He was being a good person, and he wants you to do the same. And by hating others you're not doing that.

It doesn't matter if Jesus really was the son of God. But if he was, and God sent him to earth to spread the good news about him, and that good news became the bible, God would be looking down now, seeing what people do in his name, and turning to Jesus and saying "you've made me look a right twat here son."

But anyway, as I was saying, I have nothing against religious people, because most of them are just living their lives the right way. But you don't have to believe in God, or pray to him, to be living the right way. You can be a good Christian without believing in God and he's not going to punish you, because you've been a good person. It's like Beyonce once said, "hollering in a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a Cadillac."

In general, people just don't like what is different to them. It's like Yul Brenner says in Cool Runnings, "People are always afraid of what's different." As with the story above, the guy doesn't like homosexuality because it's different. It's using religion as the justification for this dislike that's pretty much caused all the world's problems for the past 2000 years. Family Guy summed it up perfectly with this sketch...


How many people have died in the name of a particular religion. Not just Christianity though, it happens with all of them. And the thing is, they're actually all similar in how they tell people to be. They're all peaceful, telling people to treat others well, and they've all been butchered by us.

But anyway, that was just a little rant, and I hope I burn in hell.



@adamheath




No comments:

Post a Comment